Everybody is talking about Inception. I see that this one `s rating shot up in imdb from an astonishingly ridiculous 6.* to an expected 9.* in two days flat. Hmm … Probably the people who rated the movie before are all Americans … lol … the yankees don`t understand anything do they ? 😀 (Its a joke me hearties!)
A collegue and friend of mine writes this whole scene to scene description on imdb. Talk about serious fanhood 🙂 More dope on the movie is to be found here and here!
Anyway, the dictionary defines it in a simple way as below :The beginning of something, such as an undertaking; a commencement
So I guess the combo of the successful movie`s theme and the definition prove the fact that dreams are in most cases the primary genesis of ideas.
To put the plot short, its about the protagonist and his team trying to change the thinking of a person by altering the origin of his thinking ,i.e., his subconscious. The medium to tap that subconscious is his dream.
I would take the pains to mention the character of Mal because the actress is sexy 🙂 and of course also because she is the main antagonist. The hero`s dead wife who being such a strong surpassed part of his memory? keeps popping up in his dreamland missions.
Yup! I guess memories are painful sometimes.
Leonardo de caprio is soon becoming an immaculate actor both because of his acting and the stories he selects. I mean his recent movies , Shutter Island and Inception (not to mention older ones like Catch me if you can, the Departed, The Aviator) make Titanic look like shit-squeak.
Back to the movie ….
What this movie is …
- Another feather in Leo`s cap
- Another diamond in Nolan`s treasure chest
- Good thought provoking movie leading to endless debates and interpretations
- One with the keep-guessing ending where the audience are free to make their conclusions on the hero`s fate
- The movie that shall make the totem famous 😉
What this movie is not …
- Though a brilliant piece, its not an epic , like The dark knight or The Matrix or LOTR …. its more like a dramatic documentation of events (of the mind,yes ! but just events none the less) . The complexity is in the novelty of the theme not in the plot.
- It is like a lecture on the fictitious theme, but sans the ending, doesn`t leave much for the audience`s interpretation ( audience`s imagination inducing … try the joker from dark knight for instance)
But still it is definitely a good movie, a messiah-like relief compared to the shit-squeak called knight and day which released at about the same time in India (Of course! Wouldn`t deny that Cameron Diaz is still all woooooooh inducing)
Boy ! The ones who would be so proud of the movie`s ideas are Freud (due to uncontrolled overwhelming projections which cross boundaries irrespective of the dream host … the character Mal for instance) , Jung (due to the whole dream within a dream within a dream thing) and good ol`Lyn Chat (the technical reason why she likes it is something I don`t know.Just a hunch)
Emperor`s clothes analogy
Remember the short kids` tale , The emperor`s new clothes ?
The amusing thing I observed about this movie is that some people , even if they might not actually like it, end up saying that it was good. Why ? Because they might possibly be scared that denying its enjoyability is synonymous with shouting , *I am too stupid to understand!*
Awesome job by the makers for successfully inducing that kind of mass-thinking , even after the audience walks out the theatres … Not many movies do that these days!! 🙂